Christ Church is the largest college in Oxford. It was founded by Cardinal Wolsey as Cardinal’s College in 1524 and built on the site of the suppressed monastery of St Frideswide. The kitchen and the Great Hall were part of Wolsey’s construction.
Wolsey fell from power in 1529 and the college became the property of Henry VIII. Henry re-founded the college in 1546. The old monastic church became the cathedral of the new diocese and the dual foundation of college and cathedral was called Ædes Christi (the house of Christ) in Latin and Christ Church in English. Because of its Latin name, the college is often referred to as ‘the House’. Because of its ecclesiatical foundation, the Dean of Christ Church is always a clergyman.
Christ Church is situated near to the centre of Oxford, just to the south of the High Street, but it is bounded by the River Thames and the River Cherwell and the extensive Christ Church Meadows.